The Governing Body take an active interest in the life of the school and individual Governors work in partnership with school staff on specific areas of the School Success Plan (SSP).
Representatives from the community, parents, members of the staff team and the Headteacher form the full Governing Body which meets every term. The two committees 'Children and Learning' and 'Resources' meet, on behalf of the governing body, on a regular basis to look at key areas in further detail.
The role of the Governing Body
School Governors provide strategic leadership and accountability in all schools. Governors appoint the Headteacher and are involved in the appointment of other staff. It is the governors who hold the main responsibility for finance in schools and it is governors who work with the Headteacher to make tough decisions about balancing resources based on what is best for the children.
Each individual Governor is a member of the Governing Body, which is established in law as a corporate body. Individual Governors may not act independently of the rest of the Governing Body. Decisions are the joint responsibility of the Governing Body.
The role of the Governing Body is to:
- set the vision, aims and objectives for the school
- set the policies for achieving those aims and objectives
- set the targets for achieving those aims and objectives
- monitor and evaluate the progress the school is making towards achievement of its aims and objectives
- be a source of challenge and support to the Headteacher
The Headteacher is responsible for the internal organisation, management and control of the school and the implementation of the strategic framework established by the Governing Body.
The Governors aim to conduct themselves and work with the school in accordance with the NGA code of conduct. Please see the Code of Conduct below.
What we do
The Full Governing Body (FGB) meets once a term and is fully minuted by a dedicated Clerk to the Governors. Minutes can be found on our school website. The agenda for a Full Governing Body meeting will include review of the School Success Plan, a Headteacher's report - with particular regard to pupil progress, an update on other priority areas and reports from the chairs of our committees.
At Stamford Green we have two committees which have authority to agree and monitor policies and key actions on behalf of the full governing body. The committees each meet once a term. Currently, our committees are:
- Resources - This committee sets and monitors the budget with the School Business Leader and Headteacher and takes it to the Full Governing Body for approval. It also reviews staffing and training needs. This committee is responsible for the fabric of the school and all health and safety issues. The School Business Leader is in attendance. Regular safety inspections and fire drills are monitored by this committee.
- Children and Learning - This committee is focused on standards and the progress made by all children in the school, the curriculum as well as the quality of teaching. This committee is also responsible for evaluating the Social, Moral, Spiritual and Cultural ethos of the school. Behaviour, attendance and punctuality are also reviewed at these meetings.
Alongside the committees we also have Governors involved in working groups that focus on specific projects as and when the need arises.
All our Governors are expected to visit the school so they know about day to day life in school. These visits are structured and made in partnership with the Headteacher and the staff team.
If you would like to contact the Governing Body, please do so via Ms Beth Saunt, Clerk to the Governors, on email@example.com
Please see below for the Governing Body's Strategic Plan.