Key tips for early reading:
- Keep reading fun and positive.
- Short and often reading is the best type of practice.
- Help your child with words they don't know or cannot sound out.
- Encourage your child to use a sound mat to help them remember sounds.
- Put tricky words on a post-it note around the house - these words have to be remembered by sight.
- Repetition is very important - pick up on repeated words and read books again and again.
- Talking about the book is just as important as reading the words.
Please see the videos below which demonstrate the different strategies you could use at home to support your child:
Pink with a focus on tricky words and repetition